Friday 10 February 2012

My car and garages trying it on!

My car went in for an MOT on Wednesday and I used a local garage I have been using for years.  They called me to give the good news that I needed 3 x new tyres, an exhaust, and some back end thingy.  You can imagine my delight when they told me it would cost £575!  I was absolutely mortified.  Okay so it is not a new car, it is about 6 years old, so you would expect it needing a little bit of work.  I spoke to a friend of mine whose partner owns an MOT garage and she said she had spoken to him and he said sounds like they are ripping you off.  That night I had a fretful nights sleep and I decided I was going to ring them to get the price reduced.  I made 2 or 3 phone calls to them and got the price down to £430, okay not great but marginally better.  I saved myself £140 for making a few phone calls.

Everyone, is finding it hard at the moment no pay rises and the cost of living going up.  £430 for me in a month is my entire family budget.  Luckily, my Husband has a good job so it is not too much of an issue.  My question is how many people are these businesses ripping off.  My Husband accepted the original £575 without question and if I had not intervened he would have paid it.  No doubt there are many people who do that. 

In the last 6 months this must be my 3rd or 4th debacle with these circumstances, I have saved myself hundreds of pounds, my best was with a certain utility company trying to charge me an extra £369.  Companies seem to have lost their morale compass.  I implore anyone out there who gets a bill, don't just pay it, give them a call, it could save you a lot of money.  After all it pays to complain, and don't renew insurances go on the u-switch websites and shop around.

No comments:

Post a Comment